Monday, July 29, 2013

H&M "Regular" Waist Jeans

During my most recent Goodwill outlet trip, I found these H&M jeans in my size.

The label and website call them "Regular" waisted jeans, but these are by no means a regular waist. These are the highest waisted jeans I have ever worn - and I lived through the 90's.

In general, I am not a big fan of high waists coming back into fashion. (Aside from skirts)

I think high-waisted jeans are unflattering on most people, and in particular when paired with very short cutoffs, the result just horrendous. One's fly length should not be 3 times as long as their inseam. I find that the combination of butt cheeks peeking out of the cutoffs and a tight, high waist produces this weird emphasis on your crotch and rear areas, almost like a jeans bikini.

But I digress.

For the most part, I do like these jeans. The fit is tight - definitely the "skinniest" jeans I own, but they are also very stretchy. I love the dark wash, and while the shapes and placement of the holes are a little funny, I like their casual edginess. And they have ankle zippers!

But this high waist, man...
I feel like I'm wearing Mom jeans.
Aside from the various fashion associations of high rise pants, this look is not doing my body any favors. I think this style makes me appear heavier than I am, and even worse is it makes my butt look long and flat.

So I think I will only be wearing these with tops that are long enough to cover most of the high waist and hit at my hip or below... basically hiding the fact that they are high waisted.

What are your opinions on high-waisted pants, particularly in regards to your body type?


No comments:

Post a Comment