Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Curls

My sister has curly hair. Really, really, curly hair.
So it goes with siblings; both want what the other has. Throughout middle and high school, she would spend hours straightening her thick curls with an iron, or get her hair chemically relaxed at the salon. Meanwhile, I would sleep with my hair in rollers, twists, or any other curl inducing method possible. I tried standard curling irons, but that would take hours, and no matter how much product I used nothing ever held past 3rd period.

Last fall I bought a curling wand, and somehow that device does what nothing else could. In just a half an hour, I can curl my entire head, and even without using any product my hair stays curly through the day or night.

But, I can only seem to create one type of curls. I've read and watched tutorials, but somehow even when I'm going for soft, subtle waves I still end up with big, all-over curls. Alternatively, if I only curl the bottom section, I get something resembling a classic poodle cut. I even got a layered hair cut hoping that would aid in my curling endeavors... but that has just added to the volume. Not that I don't love big hair, because I really do.





The iron I have is the 1/2"-1" tapered Remington TStudio Pearl clipless wand. This is a great low-cost wand, and it has certainly paid for itself in number of uses. However, I think the reason I'm unable to create soft waves is that this is the wrong size iron for my long, thick hair! So it looks like I'm going to be throwing down and buying a second wand in the 1.5" - 2" range. Or trading... anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment