Thursday, October 17, 2013

Menswear: an exercise in closet curation

 When it comes to identifying my personal style, menswear would not be one of the descriptive words I would use. I own some unisex items; blazers, cardigans and collared shirts, but unless worn together, none really stand out as particularly masculine. I also don’t have a male closet at my disposal.
Thus, putting together an outfit that could be labeled as menswear was a real challenge for me.


Blazer: Tulle │ Goodwill Outlet
Vest: A. Byer │ Goodwill Outlet
Jeans: Banana Republic │ Goodwill │ $1.29
Shoes: Toms │ stolen from sister

I did discover that I have quite a few vests that I never wear. Even when focusing on these individual pieces and building outfits around them, I still had an immensely difficult time creating something that worked.

 In fact, this outfit seems to be made up of pieces that I rarely wear.

The blazer is too big on me, especially in the chest, and I feel like it isn’t flattering buttoned or unbuttoned. The boyfriend length is also not very ideal for shorter ladies such as myself.

The jeans fit well, but I have trouble finding the right footwear for such a wide trouser leg. Additionally, being a pre-hemmed "Petite" length, they are actually a smidgen too short for me, requiring the flattest of shoes.

So, while I can safely say I won’t be following the menswear trend, I was able to identify some closet squatters. As much as I may like an item, if it doesn’t look good on me there’s no point in holding on to it. And this is coming from a clothing hoarder.



Linking up with Work Clothes, I Suppose for Third Thursday Threads!

No comments:

Post a Comment