Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Repurposing Unworn Items


I got this top (or short dress?) at the outlet, and I really liked the pattern/fabric, but never wore it because the fit/style was unflattering.

It had funny little short sleeves and a ruched chest area, and fell in that awkward area between being a shirt and being a dress. 


I decided it would be better suited as a skirt, so I removed the sleeves, and stitched up the sides to utilize the elastic ruched top part as a waistband.  

 Now a skirt, I tried to wear it once before but struggled with the fit and styling. The ruched top area was scratchy, too long, and added extra bulk. This also made it impossible to pair with any shirt; I didn’t want that top part visible, but underneath a shirt it was incredibly lumpy.  

Wanting to wear it, I managed to find a shirt and belt that worked okay with the skirt's issues, which are less visible in the photos than in real life.



skirt: was a top, no label | Goodwill outlet
shirt: old navy | Goodwill outlet
belt: no label | Goodwill outlet
shoes: ? | found/free
bag: mercer | swiped from sister's donation pile

After a full day of discomfort and constant adjusting of my layers, I decided the skirt needed further alterations, and chopped off most of the ruched top, leaving just the one narrow elastic band. When my sewing machine starts working again, I'll sew the little bit of extra fabric over the elastic to create a more finished waistband.
Even unfinished, without all that bulk the skirt has immediately become so much more versatile. It's really the perfect length, and I'm looking forward to keeping it in rotation through the fall and winter, with tights and boots!


No comments:

Post a Comment